Friday, 13 February 2009

Stuck in Neutral

As so often this year, a patch of encouraging play is followed by a below par showing. I played a £1/£2 round of each cash game at LC on Tuesday night, and have only just got round to blogging it now, as my performance was so uninspiring and, for want of a better word, flat.

Although the DTD tournaments the previous weekend had resulted in spectacular failure, the cash game was solid, resulting in £350 profit over many hours of both holdem and Omaha. I gave £400 back to the community on Tuesday, with a pretty dull performance.

I just can't seem to get anything going this year - every cash game success both online and live has immediately been followed by a loss for a slightly bigger amount. This combined with a barren tournament run this year has resulted in my P&L just gently floating south.

My bankroll is still healthy, standing at many multiples of the current year to date loss but confidence and, more importantly, motivation is probably at an all time low for my poker career. I honestly don't feel I am playing too badly (on average), but every tournament I enter I expect to follow the following formula: Build Stack, then play over-expansively, before either self imploding or being cold decked.

I'm giving serious consideration to playing like a rock for a while, just to see what happens. I remember how easy it used to be to beat the Western tournaments when I first began by simply playing very tightly - maybe it's what I need for a while, but I fear I may lose the joy of playing if I do that.

Anyhow, back to the cash game - Jody, The Baron, Steve, Dev and Wilkinson were all in attendance, as well as a random selection of punters from the £10 tournament game downstairs, who came to chance their arm.

Tom and Jody seemed keen to play every single pot with multiple raises, and the game became fairly crazy early on. Starting hand requirements went down, and the best way to play was by fighting fire with fire.

I don't remember too many of the hands, although I was £150 up early, after The Baron made a donation in Omaha when I held top set. I then lost most of this profit to Jody, when he slow played AAxx in Omaha pre-flop (quite the opposite to how he'd been playing most of the night) and I convinced myself my JJxx was good on a 888 flop - my call is terrible let's face it.

My stack bounced around a bit, until I lost a big NLHE pot to Wilkinson when my 6s8s was no good on a flop of A68, Wilkinson holding a bigger 2 pair. I should have got away from that hand with less damage to be honest, but the outcome left me with about £35 dead from my £400 stack.

I was ready to go home, but played my micro stack "tournament style" and somehow spun it up to nearly £400 again, mostly with the Omaha monster that is Q883, which conquered Dev and Jody in a 3 way all in pre flop.

I then lost the lot to the Baron - board was AcQcJcTc3c. I held the 9c for second nuts, but the Baron had the Flush Royale. No way I can fold this against the Baron I don't think - we've bluffed each other before off mono-suit boards with offsuit rags in big pots.

So there we go - a rather glum post. Next week I aim to play three night's of tournaments/cash, just to try and get something going. Downswings are part of poker I guess, and it's fine as long as the bankroll is there to support it. The final back up plan is to simply run good in Vegas. In the meantime, I'll continue to post results and look like a dunce ;)

P&L GBP 2009
Live Tournaments (70)
Live Cash (238)
Online Tournaments (1,367)
Online Cash (285)
Poker Festivals (525)
Rake (283)

Total (2,788)

No comments: