Monday, 10 August 2009

Turgid Weekend

I played online tournaments on Saturday night, with fairly disappointing results. Despite cashing three times I was left with a moderate loss for proceedings, and as seems to be the case these days, didn't make much progress in any of the bigger field Full Tilt or PokerStars events.

I had one deep run in the $120 Party Poker turbo event, which saw me sitting as one of chip leaders with 12 runners remaining. Unfortunately I then had my Aces cracked all in pre-flop against some garbage for 70% of my stack, and the structure didn't really allow me time to recover (everyone had 15 BBs max at the final table). I won $532 in the end, busting about 6th, which was a shame, as the top spots played handsomely.

I also played two Omaha tournaments, and experimented with playing very conservatively, only playing matrix hands where all four cards work in tandem. This strategy, whilst effective in cash, seemed to be pretty useless in tournaments, as in both tournaments I found myself down to about 15 BBs, and when I re-pot shoved with premium hands I was spite called by a couple of punters who hit with their garbage. One guy called off 80% of his stack to see my all-in with KT75 single suited. My AAQ9 double nut suited was no good. I think in Omaha tournaments you simply have to gamble early on to pick up a decent stack, so you can withstand the marginal beats that are part and parcel of all-in Omaha.

Speaking of turgid, the Hornets kicked off their season with a 1-1 draw at home to mighty Doncaster Rovers. From reading the reports on the forums, it seemed we were pretty woeful and lucky not to lose. Looks like yet another long season ahead. At least Shazbo can't gloat yet as Newcastle also drew, albeit slightly more impressively at West Brom. One thing for certain, however, is that Newcastle's squad do not sport appropriate Championship haircuts. There were some ridiculous self indulgent barnets on display - from the alice band of Carrol, to the ponytail of Gutierrez and the Latino 'Fro of Coloccini. Lads - these haircuts will simply not do for a Tuesday night in November away at Scunthorpe. I refer you to the short back and sides sported by the Watford squad. And no coloured boots either please.

On the poker front, this week's live action should be fun. Thursday is a £100 deep stacked tournament featuring both The Don and The Volcano, as well as the usual regulars. I am also trying to organise a cash game for tomorrow night, but we shall see what the uptake is like.

P&L GBP 2009
Live Tournaments (910)
Live Cash 677
Online Tournaments (2574)
Online Cash 966
Poker Festivals (3,113)
Rake (2,212)

Total (7,226)

1 comment:

C said...

mate, where's the £100 deep stacked tournament on Thursday? or is that a home game type thing?